On October 23, 2017, the Vietnamese Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) released new regulations regarding the use of formaldehyde and azo dyes in textile products. These were published in Circular No. 21/2017/TT-BCT, “the national technical regulation on the content of formaldehyde and certain aromatic amines derived from azo colorants in textile products”.
The new regulations contain specific requirements relating to the permitted limits for formaldehyde and azo dye content in textile products. These apply to all goods manufactured, imported, distributed and sold in Vietnam.
According to the regulations, the limits on formaldehyde content in textile products shall not exceed:
- Textile products for children under 3 years old: 30 mg/kg
- Textile products in direct skin contact: 75 mg/kg
- Textile products without direct skin contact: 300 mg/kg
Limits on content of aromatic amines derived from azo colorants:
- Content of each aromatic amine shall not exceed 30 mg/kg for all textile products
The regulations do have exemptions, including:
- Unbleached or undyed fabrics and textile products
- Textile products in transit or stored in warehouses for assembling
- Textile products temporarily imported for re-export
- Foreign tourist belongings temporarily entering Vietnam
- Commercial samples with no market value or samples for scientific study
Textile products that are manufactured, imported, distributed and marketed in Vietnam are required to declare conformity with the CR mark at the point of sale and provide a conformity certificate either by:
- Self-declaration of conformity based on results of self-assessment made by the applicant. The testing for declaration of conformity shall be carried out by a testing organization certified by MOIT
- Declaration of conformity based on results of certification or assessment made by the appointed certifying organization. The testing for declaration of conformity shall be carried out by a testing organization certified by MOIT.
The new requirements will come into effect on May 1, 2018. Stakeholders are now advised to check their products are compliant with the latest clothing regulations in Vietnam.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS has a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-art laboratories specializing in softline testing. Their committed team is drawn from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, allowing them to carry out a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. SGS helps companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Learn more about SGS’s Softlines Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Vietnam Issues New Regulations on Formaldehyde and Azo Dyes Requirements in Textile Products SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Director Technical Support, Softlines
Tel: +1 973 461 7919
About SGSSGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.