The new Radio Equipment Directive (RED) came into effect in Europe on June 13, 2017. It includes three new standards for broadcast sound and video receiver equipment (EN 303 345, EN 303 340, EN 303 372-2).
The new RED directive, 2014/53/EU, brings all broadcast sound or video receivers with FM/AM/DAB/DVB functions within its scope. As such, all FM/AM/DAB radio receivers, DVB TV receiver, set top boxes (with DVB functions) must meet the RED requirements if they are to be sold in the EU.
Three new standards were published, specifically for these types of product:
- EN 303 340 was published on June 30, 2017, for digital terrestrial television broadcast receivers fitted with an external antenna input (tuner port) capable of receiving DVB-T and/or DVB-T2 signals. It will become mandatory on June 30, 2018
- EN 303 372-2 was published on January 31, 2017, for indoor units with satellite broadcast reception and DVB-S/-S2 functions. It will become mandatory on January 31, 2018
- EN 303 345, for which a draft version was published on March 2017, relates to FM/AM/DAB/DRM receivers. It is still in draft status and is not listed in the RED Official Journal standard list
Products need to comply with the requirements of the new RED before they can be placed on the market in the EU.
When developing new products, businesses will now need to consider:
- The new standards: EN 303 345, EN 303 340, EN 303 372-2
- Conformance requirements:
Sensitivity, Adjacent channel selectivity and Blocking for EN 303 345;
Adjacent signal selectivity and Dynamic range for EN 303 372-2;
RED states that products falling within the scope of EN 303 345 must receive an EU Type Examination Certificate from a Notified Body (NB), before they can be placed on the European market. As an approved NB, SGS can provide EU Type Examination certification.
SGS Audio, Video and Household Appliances Services
SGS supports manufacturers, distributers and retailers of household electrical products through the entire supply chain – from design to shipment. Their tailored services help companies stay abreast of technological, regulatory and market developments and can help stakeholders achieve compliance with Electrical & Electronics regulations covering product safety, EMC, hazardous substances (RoHS, REACH, SVHC etc), energy efficiency, Ecodesign, ErP, Performance and Reliability, as well as with many other consumer product related requirements. Learn more about SGS’s Audio, Video and Household Appliances Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full New RED Requirements for Broadcast Sound and Video Receiver Equipment SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Tel: +86 755 2532 8508
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.