Manufacturers and importers of toys have until May 23, 2018 to comply with Egypt’s new mandated toy safety standards.
The standards, with their equivalent technical standard, are:
- ES 3123-1/2017 ‘Safety of Toys – Part 1: Physical and Mechanical Properties’ – Technical Standard Equivalent: EN 71-1:2014
- ES 3123-5/2017 ‘Safety of Toys – Part 5: Chemical Toys (Sets) other than Experimental Sets’ – Technical Standard Equivalent: EN 71-5:2015
- ES 3123-12/2017 ‘Safety of Toys – Part 12: N-Nitrosamines and N-Nitrosatable Substances’ – Technical Standard Equivalent: EN 71-12:2016
- ES 3123-14/2017 ‘Safety of Toys – Part 14: Trampolines for Domestic Use’ – Technical Standard Equivalent: EN 71-14:2014
- ES 7269/2017 ‘Electric Toys – Safety’ – Technical Standard Equivalent: IEC 62115:2017
Stakeholders should note that Egypt has mandated ES 3123-12 for n-nitrosamines and n-nitrosatable substances, which is considered to be technically equivalent to EN 71-12:2016. This European standard was published in December 2016 by the Comité Europeén de Normalisation (CEN, European Committee for Standardization) and is expected to be cited in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) for presumption of conformity with Directive 2009/48/EC, the so-called European Toy Safety Directive (TSD).
The decision to mandate certain Egyptian Standards (ES) for toy safety was first published on November 23, 2017, before being circulated by the World Trade Organization (WTO) in February 2018. Manufacturers and importers were given a transition period of six months from the publishing date of the relevant Ministerial Decrees, Numbers 1307/207 and 1308/2017, giving a compliance date of May 23, 2018.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Egypt Mandates the Use of Certain New Toy Safety Standards SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Hing Wo Tsang Ph.D
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.