On February 6, 2018, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ), as well as the Standardization Administration (SA) of the People’s Republic of China, approved 291 new national standards. Included in this number were 35 standards relating to cosmetic products and their raw materials.
These 35 standards are:
- GB/T 13531.6-2018 General methods on determination of cosmetics – Determination of particle size
- GB/T 13531.7-2018 General methods on determination of cosmetics – Determination of refractive index
- GB/T 35797-2018 Determination of padimates in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35798-2018 Determination of coumarin and its derivatives in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35799-2018 Determination of sodium PCA in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35800-2018 Determination of hexamidine, chlorhexidine and their salts as preservatives in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35801-2018 Determination of prohibited captan in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35803-2018 Determination of prohibited urocanic acid and its ethyl ester in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35824-2018 Determination of 20 kinds of prohibited and restricted dyestuff in hair dyes – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35826-2018 Determination of prohibited binapacryl and propargite in skin care cosmetics
- GB/T 35827-2018 General methods on determination of cosmetics—Identification of the emulsion type (w/o or o/w)
- GB/T 35828-2018 Determination of chromium, arsenic, cadmium, stibium, and lead in cosmetics – Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry
- GB/T 35829-2018 Determination of four naphthalenediols in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35830-2018 Cleaning products – Determination of triclosan
- GB/T 35831-2018 Determination of barbaloin in oral care and cleansing products
- GB/T 35832-2018 Testing method of the abrasivity value of toothpastes
- GB/T 35837-2018 Determination of prohibited minoxidil in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35889-2018 Liquid/gel eyeliner
- GB/T 35893-2018 Determination of aluminum zirconium chloride hydroxide complexes, aluminum zirconium chloride hydroxide glycine complexes and aluminum chlorohydrate as antiperspirant active ingredients in cosmetics
- GB/T 35894-2018 Determination of 10 forbidden glycol ethers and esters in cosmetics—GC-MS
- GB/T 35914-2018 Makeup-removal oil（lotion, emulsion, balm, cream）
- GB/T 35915-2018 Cosmetic ingredients – Extract of pearl
- GB/T 35916-2018 Simultaneous determination of 16 kinds of permitted sunscreen agents and other 8 kinds of ultraviolet absorbents in cosmetics – HPLC
- GB/T 35919-2018 Oral cavity nursing materials classifications and terms
- GB/T 35946-2018 Determination of thimerosal in eye cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35948-2018 Determination of seven parabens in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35949-2018 Determination of prohibited aristolochic acid A in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35950-2018 Determination of inorganic sulfites and bisulfites in cosmetics
- GB/T 35951-2018 Determination of eight macrolide antibiotics such as spiramycin in cosmetics – LC-MS/MS
- GB/T 35952-2018 Determination of undecylenic acid and zinc undecylenate in cosmetics – Gas chromatography
- GB/T 35953-2018 Determination of restricted dichloromethane and 1,1,1-trichloroethane in cosmetics – Headspace gas chromatography
- GB/T 35954-2018 Determination of 10 whitening and freckle-removing components in cosmetics – High performance liquid chromatography
- GB/T 35955-2018 Anti-perspiration(fragrant) liquid（lotion, spray, paste）
- GB/T 35956-2018 Detection and determination of N-nitrosodiethanolamine (NDELA) in cosmetics – HPLC-MS-MS
- GB/T 35957-2018 Determination of prohibited substances cesium-137, cesium-134 in cosmetics – Gamma spectrometry
The majority of these new standards focus on prohibited substances (such as Binapacryl and NDELA), restricted substances (such as Inorganic sulfites and hydrogen sulfites), preservatives (Undec-10-enoic acid and its salts), UV-filters and skin whitening substances. The new standards also include eyeliner and removal oil – the first time these products have received GB national standards.
Stakeholders should be aware that not all the standards are currently published; but they should be ready to implement any product changes that may become necessary when the standards are published. These new standards will come into effect on September 1, 2018.
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state of the art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS’s Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full China Releases New GBs Standard for Cosmetic Industry SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Tel: +86 020 2909 3881
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.