On June 29, 2017, China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology published:
- Draft of “Compliance Management Catalog for the Restriction of the Use of Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Products (1 st Batch)”
- Draft of the “Exemption List”
These documents relate to China’s “Administrative Measure on the Control of Pollution Caused by Electrical and Electronic Products” (RoHS2) for Electrical and Electronic Products (EEP), and were issued for a consultation that ended on July 28, 2017.
The draft Compliance Management Catalog covers twelve types of product:
- Air conditioners
- Washing machines
- Electric water heater
- Fax machines
- Mobile communication handsets
China’s RoHS2 aims to restrict six hazardous substances via a two-step approach – product types listed above must conform to related standards in the second step.
The draft exemption list contains 39 exemptions, including all the exemptions included in both EU RoHS2 Annex III and the expired EU RoHS2. Stakeholders should be aware that listed substances are only exempted in relation to products in the Compliance Management Catalog.
Currently, all regulated EE P are required to meet step one of China’s RoHS2, which is the requirement to provide a proper label for consumers and recycling factories to identify restricted substances within the product. This is in accordance with SJ/T 11364-2014 - Marking for the Restriction of the Use of Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Products. Products without the appropriate labeling are failed.
After the catalog comes into effect, product types not listed, shall also comply with the following labeling requirements:
- Products that do not contain restricted substances, are environmentally friendly and can be recycled must display a green symbol with ‘e’ in it
- Products containing some hazardous substances, but which can be used safely during its environmental protection use period (EPUP), after which is should be recycled – an orange symbol with a number denoting the EPUP. Manufacturers and importers must provide a declaration table for the hazardous substances present in the product according to standard SJ/T 11364-2014
SGS RoHS Services
Through a global network of laboratories and our requirements experts, SGS offers advisory services on requirements and compliance solutions to support companies affected by RoHS requirements. SGS offers RoHS testing services in laboratories accredited for the international standards applicable to these requirements and SGS RoHS Certification which is a voluntary product certification scheme. Learn more about SGS’s RoHS Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Progress on China RoHS2 – Draft Compliance Management Catalog & Exemption List Published SafeGuardS.
For further information contact:
Technical Supervisor, EET RSTS
Tel: +8622 65288314
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.