The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) has published a revised version of EN14988 – Children’s High Chairs: safety requirements. The new standard, EN14988:2017 replaces EN14988-1:2006 +A1: 2012 and EN14988-2:2006 +A1: 2012. It covers children’s high chairs for both domestic and non-domestic use but does not cover special high chairs used for medical purposes.
The updated standard seeks to improve the safety of children’s high chairs and takes into account the hazards described in Decision 2013/121/EU.
The updates include:
- Introduction of seam strength tests to ensure seam and welding are bonded in a way which will prevent access to the filling material and so prevent suffocation
- Requirements on the locking systems intended to adjust the seat height are now applicable, to avoid sudden release and drop of the seat
- Limiting cords and loop length, as they may present strangulation hazards
- A dynamic strength test has been added to ensure product integrity during use
- Specific requirements have been included for high chairs fitted with more than two castors/wheels
- Improved restraint system requirements to require a passive crotch restraint for products with a horizontal component in front of the baby
- Reworded mandatory product information to highlight essential warnings and safety information and to improve the legibility for consumers. An Informative annex has been introduced, providing the translation of warning sentences into 24 European languages
In the European Union, EN14988:2017 can be used as a voluntary standard to show compliance to the General Product Safety Directive. Stakeholders should be aware that in countries with their own national legislations, for example France and the UK, the national legislation takes precedence.
EN14988:2017 was published in June 2017 and European National Standard organizations bound to CEN/CENELEC rules have until January 2018 to publish this new standard. Where conflicting national standards exist, these should be withdrawn by July 2018.
SGS Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Juvenile Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Updates for the Safety of High Chairs – EN14988 SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
International Expert – Juvenile Products
Tel: +33 6 28 50 25 88
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.